본문 바로가기

자유게시판

Captain 20 Host on WDCA - Tv, Channel 20 In Washington, DC

페이지 정보

profile_image
작성자 Melodee
댓글 0건 조회 98회 작성일 24-01-24 08:36

본문

In early 1969, the thought of Captain 20 (as an astronaut) was born. Station General Manager, Milt Grant needed to have an area character to host the morning and afternoon cartoon exhibits on WDCA. In addition this character would additionally run a telephone contest. Since the moon landings had been massive information and WDCA-Tv had bought a futuristic set that had been utilized by RCA at the National Association of Broadcaster convention in April, it was decided that the character would be an astronaut! That summer auditions were held and the winner was John Kallimonis.

The first contest was The Gerbil Race! Viewers were requested to ship in a put up card with their title, deal with and phone number. Several occasions every morning and after noon, Captain 20 would select a publish card and name that child. The viewer would be asked to pick one in every of three gerbils, every bearing the title of a Channel 20 program. The gerbils had been launched and if the selected gerbil received, so did the viewer!

This was a massively well-liked contest for both kids and adults. There have been rumors that adults in bars have been really betting on the gerbils! But that apart, the competition helped set up Channel 20 as a substitute to the child's programming on WTTG.

In 1970 John Kallimonis left the station and was changed by Tony Alexis. The set was repainted, Captain 20 received a new uniform and the gerbil races continued. Tony expanded the internet hosting concept by adding a sidekick that he additionally played. The viewers appeal continued to develop!

In 1971, Tony additionally took on the function of Bozo the Clown. This was Washington's second Bozo (apart for those on Capital Hill). The first was Willard Scott who performed the position a number of years earlier on WRC.

On June 10, 1972, I was employed to substitute Tony on the Bozo Circus. I used to be hired as a employees announcer, as were John and Tony, which meant we had been required to do any on-air job the station wished. After a month of reformatting, the new Bozo Circus went on the air.

As Fall approached I was asked to take on the role of Captain 20 quantity 3! Frankly I used to be not excited by the prospect. It was a full time job producing and hosting five "taped as stay" exhibits every week. However, I actually had no selection, so we went to work on the brand new Captain. The space program was shedding steam, so I determined to make Captain 20 an alien. Since I used to be a Star Trek fan, I gave him purple hair, pointed ears and he greeted people with the Vulcan split finger signal. This worked out well in that M&M Mars got here on board as a primary sponsor, so Captain 20 grew to become the man from Mars.

For just a few weeks in September 1973, I really did run gerbil races, but Milt Gant had a new idea: Monkey Races! He hired a chimpanzee coach and we taped three monkeys doing a variety of various races, however like the gerbils, every had the title of a Channel 20 program.

The monkey races have been adopted in 1974 with the Disney Races. Our promotion supervisor had labored a deal with Disney World where we received a wide range of Disney costumed characters to run a variety of race, however this time solely with numbers. This was an actual coup in that the Disney characters had been rarely used for outdoors promotions.

The massive change came in 1975 with the introduction of the Channel 20 Club Card. Kids could become a member of the club by sending in a stamped self addressed stamped envelop. They then acquired a numbered club card with the matching numbered stub being deposited in an enormous drum. Several instances a day, Captain 20 would appear between applications, pull and announce a successful quantity. If a child had the matching number he had 10 days to mail it to a special tackle and claim his/her prize. To kick off the contest we had a huge prize: Christmas in Walt Disney World in your entire family! We even filmed the promo spots in Disney World!

Over the following a number of years, The Channel 20 Club grew, sending out a reported 250,000 club cards. The contest prizes would change from more Disney trip, to "Love Bug" go-carts, to bikes and numerous different prizes. At the identical time Captain 20 was changing. About every year we acquired a new set and the Captain became a bit extra human. He lost the purple hair, the ears kept getting smaller. In 1977, https://dogwarmth.com/accessories/bike-carts-for-dogs/ Captain 20 grew a mustache and at the same time Bozo left the air. Frankly it was a ache attempting to cowl the mustache and I was getting uninterested in the makeup. The issue was the 2.5 year ready checklist for Bozo tickets. To resolve this drawback Captain 20 bought his first real every day half hour program, "The Channel 20 Club."

In 1979, Channel 20's license renewal was challenged due to the violent, non-academic programming we focused at youngsters. At the identical time, the station was put up on the market. It was decided that Captain 20 needed to have more academic content in his program. I spent lots of time working with educators from the DC faculty system learning about early childhood training. It was a real experience. We had a number of shows throughout that interval utilizing several totally different formats. By the time the sale to Taft Broadcasting was finally accredited, We had evolved the concept in a show that taught vital tv viewing abilities and it was known as W.O.W.!

This show normally had four kids as friends. They'd slide into the set, introduce themselves and then make a nutritious snack with Captain 20, who had normal ears, regular hair and wore a hat that was left over from a fast food commercial that had been taped within the studio a few weeks before! The snack was followed up by showing drawing that the viewers had sent to the station, a well-liked left over from the Bozo Art Gallery.

After the Space Gallery, the kids within the studio along with the youngsters at home watched a short animated feature. After it was over, Captain 20 would lead a discussion as to what the feature was about and what the youngsters acquired from it. The ultimate segment of the show had Captain 20 main a simple craft challenge that tied into the theme of the characteristic. The present received a nationwide "Iris" nomination and several other "People's Choice Awards."

Once W.O.W.! was successfully launched, I was requested to supply a second every day half hour program referred to as Kids' Break! While Captain 20 would be a visitor on the show, the host was a giant shaggy inexperienced puppet by the title of Howard Huge! I had really met Howard back in 1971 when I was at Bozo coaching in Dallas. He was a proto-type for a household of puppets that did not promote, so, since he was unemployed I put him to work.

The present consisted of a number of brief academic segments that tried to be as interactive because the medium would permit. Each of those segments had their own character. Some were puppets like Milton M. Milton, Manners the Butler, and Chef Combo. Others had been animated paintings like Timmy Time and Madame Memory and there was one stay character, whose face we never noticed, by the name of Nick Numbers! While I did all of the voices, I did have assist from interns, resembling Randy Querry, who made and operated Manners!

Howard could be the MC, beginning every show with a number of jokes followed by the Word of the Day, which could be repeated at the top. Each present also had a locally produced function piece. Sometimes an interview, a go to to the Zoo, a park, a restaurant or even an animation studio. This last function was actually produced by another intern, Nancy Norman, and was part of the show that received an area Emmy Award in 1984!

Captain 20 was also involved with a collection of prime time specials that had been produced and promoted in cooperation with numerous college districts. These included: Neighborhood People, Monsters, Magic and Make Believe, Tv Behind the Screen and Have I bought a Deal for You!

During this time The nice Captain was additionally nonetheless operating contests corresponding to Spin 'n Win where we gave away the hot new Atari video recreation system and Tv Pass!, an interactive sport the place children at residence played an precise video football sport on Tv by saying "Pass" on the phone to throw the soccer!

Captain 20 additionally did a series of schooling Public Service Announcements (PSAs). Some had been with Chef Combo however the one which ran the most and longest of "The Flying Spot" the place Captain 20 demonstrated how you may fly using special results. It ran for greater than 5 years and even for a short time after the Captain was fired!

Speaking of that, in 1986, WDCA was purchased by TVX Broadcast Group they usually made the decision to finish all local production, count on of an grownup public service show. For a number of months we stored ready for the ax to fall and it did in May of 1987. The final W.O.W! and children' Break reveals ran the Friday before Memorial day of 1987.

Film Maker C. W. Prather has accomplished a documentary about Dick Dyszel's Tv profession referred to as "Every Other Day Is Halloween." It get's is world premiere June 27 at the AFI Silver Theater in Silver Spring, MD!

You possibly can watch the official trailer below:

You can get full particulars Here!

Captain 20 did many promos and PSA's (public service bulletins) but none ran longer or was seen by extra folks than the "Stunts" or "Flying" PSA.

You will get the story behind this spot and watch it by going the Screening Room!

While Captain 20 was not the host of Kids' Break, he did assist out all the puppet characters by being their arms and voices. This was also the only children's program in the history of the station to win an Emmy!

댓글목록

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

(주)코리아그린텍 사업자등록번호 : 124-81-50649 (법인 134811-0031039)대표자 : 김영권
경기도 화성시 동탄면 경기동로 502전화번호 : 031-375-8600 / 031-375-8606팩스번호 : 031-375-2732
Copyright © 코리아그린텍. All rights reserved.